Welcome to Momentum, the official crowdfunding platform for Emory University! If you are a student, faculty, staff member, alumnus/a, or friend (i.e. anyone who loves Emory!) who would like raise money for an organization or cause at Emory University, you’re in the right place. Emory’s Constituent Giving and Donor Relations team will provide the training, tools, technology, and support you need to get started and make an immediate impact.
Working with our staff and Momentum enables you and your group to raise funds for causes you are passionate about and receive 100% of all gifts. Momentum is the only approved crowdfunding tool per Emory University’s fundraising policy and also ensures that donors receive a really nice thank you along with their legal tax receipt.
Momentum applications are accepted all year long so submit yours today!
What do I need to run a Momentum campaign?
- An allocation number or speedtype for the fund you want to raise money for
*If you are a student group, you must be an officially chartered student organization to receive a speedtype
- A minimum fundraising goal of $1,000. Momentum projects typically raise between $1,000 and $15,000
- A clear and compelling purpose and need for the funds raised. For example, with the $2,000 we raise, we will send 20 nursing students on an alternative spring break trip to provide free medical care to migrant farm workers
- A team of 4+ people and/or ambassadors who will help you fundraise and spread the word about your campaign and your group’s cause (the more the merrier!)
- Willingness to reach out to a large network of friends and family for support
- Willingness and time to invest into fundraising for your campaign through sustained marketing and communications efforts as well as stewardship efforts.
- Commitment to providing at least two impact information or progress updates, and/or thank you messages to be posted on your campaign page’s Updates tab
What kinds of projects can be submitted?
The best crowdfunding projects have a specific deadline that creates a sense of urgency to encourage donations during the 30 day period during which a project is live. If you are unsure about whether or not your project is suitable for Momentum, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who decides that a project will be added to Momentum?
Emory Office of Constituent Giving and Donor Relations staff will review Momentum applications and approve them based on your group’s commitment and fundraising purpose. A collaborative team of university partners may assist in reviewing project applications as needed.
What happens to the funds if the goal is not achieved?
All projects will receive any funds raised even if the full goal isn’t achieved, and all gifts will only go towards the purpose described on the project page.
100% of your gift goes directly to the cause.
Gifts to projects featured on Momentum are considered charitable contributions to Emory University. All gifts are tax-deductible minus any benefit (FMV) received and to the extent provided by law. New tax provisions incentivize charitable giving. Learn how the CARES Act recognizes the importance of giving to nonprofits like Emory.
Yes! You will receive an email confirmation right after you make your gift. You will then receive a mailed gift acknowledgement letter and tax receipt from Emory University.
Thousands of companies match gifts to higher education, which can double or triple your gift. To find out if your employer (or your spouse's employer) has a matching gift program, please visit https://together.emory.edu/matching-gifts.
If so, please contact your Human Resources representative for a matching gift form. You may need to provide Emory's Employer Identification Number (EIN) on the form, which is 58-0566256.
You can donate via debit or credit card, Venmo, PayPal, or ApplePay. No matter which option you choose, you will be charged immediately after you complete the transaction for your gift on Momentum.
Momentum provides a platform to easily make online gifts. If you are interested in giving to a particular Momentum project by phone or mail please follow giving instructions here and be sure to include the name and link of the Momentum project that you’d like to support. Thank you for your support!
For general questions about your gift you may call 404.727.6200 or email email@example.com.