Great news! An anonymous donor has agreed to match the first $5,000 donated to this campaign, which will double your impact immediately.
Who are the Goizueta Impact Investors?
Goizueta Impact Investors (GII) is a student-run investment initiative within Emory’s Goizueta Business School that focuses on promoting social enterprises in Atlanta through targeted short-term financing. Our organization provides affordable direct debt investments to Atlanta area social enterprises to cover short-term financing needs. We do three main things:
- Provide loans up to $40,000 to social enterprises. Since 2013, GII has invested over $200,000 in 10 different organizations. These investments include:
- $30,000 to an organization that provides education in underserved areas using mobile trucks.
- $10,000 to an educational technology platform that connects companies and students.
- $22,000 to support marketing and sales at a company that provides personal development to incarcerated people.
- $40,000 to cover working capital needs for a healthcare solution provider in emerging markets.
- $40,000 debt line to a prominent CDFI to help get capital to small businesses during fallout from COVID.
- Yearly impact investing pitch competition through Turner MBA Impact Investing Network and Training (MIINT) where we represent a social enterprise for a chance to win an equity investment.
- Educate the Goizueta community about how to use business development and positive social outcomes.
Why is this important?
Impact investing challenges the long-held views that social and environmental issues should be addressed only by philanthropic donations and offers diverse and viable opportunities for investors to advance social and environmental solutions. Impact investing is a rapidly growing solution that fills an existing funding gap present in many communities where social enterprises are trying to make a difference.
Atlanta, like many cities, is a place where there is great need. However, there is also great talent and groups like GII that are eager to make a difference in this community. Being in Atlanta has allowed GII to focus our efforts locally and establish relationships with local and regional organizations like the Community Foundation of Greater Atlanta and the Reinvestment Fund.
Your Support Matters to GII
The size of GII’s fund currently sits at $80,000, which limits us to only two short term loans at a time. We are seeking additional funding to grow the size of our fund to allow us to make more investments. To aid us in this effort, an anonymous donor has agreed to match the first $5,000 donated to this campaign, which will double your impact immediately. More investment means more positive IMPACT within the Atlanta community. We want the CEOs of our portfolio companies to focus on the impact they are creating instead of dealing with financial constraints. Currently, we are only able to provide 1-year term loans which can be a strain on the founder, but with your help, we can expand the loan terms to 2-3 years. Additional funding will also allow our club to sponsor more educational events such as speaker engagements and conference attendance for members of our club and the broader Emory community. All donations will be split 90% to help small businesses achieve their social impact goals and 10% for student engagement. Educating the Emory student community not only changes tomorrow but ensures a longer-term impact focus on investing.
New tax provisions incentivize charitable giving. Learn how the CARES Act recognizes the importance of giving to nonprofits like Emory.